BENCHMARK THERMO-ASH CLADDING –
TIMELESS CLADDING WITH UNEQUALLED STABILITY
With Thermory Benchmark thermo-ash cladding, you can create a timelessly elegant façade or a warm and cozy atmosphere indoors. In addition to this aesthetic appeal, the cladding has several other important properties concealed beneath its beautiful surface – durability, simple installation options and easy maintenance. Our thermo-ash cladding gives you all this and more to an impeccable standard.
Thermory’s thermo-ash has the highest available durability class, and it is dimensionally stable and knotless with a rich, deep tone. Our selection includes profiles that can be used to install the cladding simply and without any visible fixings. Thermally modified wood is natural, free of chemicals and harmless to the environment.
Knot-free cladding with the highest available durability class
Architects all over the world have used Benchmark thermo-ash for a number of exciting projects
Why choose Benchmark thermo-ash cladding?
- If you’re looking for a durable and stable material that’s suitable for outdoor use, Thermory Benchmark thermo-ash cladding is right for you. It’s the ideal choice for those who truly care about the environment and wish to reduce their ecological footprint.
- Thermally modified ash is an environmentally friendly alternative to tropical wood – our wood comes from sustainably managed forests and we never purchase timber that originates from endangered woodland, tropical forests or rainforests.
- Thermally modified ash has similar durability characteristics to tropical wood (class 1, 25+ years) with superior dimensional stability.
- Thermally modified wood’s lower moisture absorption capability and rate results in less moisture-induced wood deformation, which means that the wood shrinks and expands less when used outdoors.
- Our thermally modified ash is a nature-friendly material as no chemicals are used and no hazardous waste is generated in the thermal modification process.
- Thermo-ash is easier to process than tropical timber.
Additional options for easy installation and a flawless finish
Our standard selection of Benchmark thermo-ash cladding products
Standard products enable flexibility with purchase volumes and shorter delivery times. All of our other products are made to order. For additional information on minimum quantities and delivery terms, please contact us.
Thermally modified ash is a responsible alternative to tropical timber
Tropical timber is considered the gold standard for durability in wood. This wood is of course valuable, but millions of hectares of rainforests are cut down to acquire it. We offer the alternative of using tree species that, after thermal modification, offer wood with comparable durability and functionality to that of tropical tree species – without destroying rainforests.
Our thermo-ash cladding is naturally as durable as tropical wood, or even more so, with a rich deep color. Unlike tropical hardwood, thermo-ash is environmentally friendly, non-toxic and rot resistant for at least 25 years if installed properly.
Ash is lightweight and durable
Ash (Fraxinus excelsior or Fraxinus americana) is a deciduous tree of the Oleaceae family that grows in Europe and North America. Ash wood is valuable, durable and strong, and with its decorative look and attractive texture, it’s the perfect material for walls and floor surfaces. Thermal modification gives ash exceptional durability and an exotic tone, making it an environmentally friendly alternative to tropical deciduous trees.
The color of the wood changes over time
Thermal modification gives ash wood an exotic deep brown color.
As with any wood, the surface of thermally modified ash will fade to a natural silver-gray color over time. This process starts immediately after the products are installed and can take a few months to several years depending on how much UV light they’re exposed to. The durability of the boards is not affected.
Wall cladding maintenance To oil or not to oil?
Thermally modified wall cladding does not necessarily require surface treatment. However, if you would like to preserve or change the tone of thermally modified wood, we recommend oiling the boards before installation using UV-resistant oil. The oil should be applied only to clean, level, dust-free surfaces. Before applying oil to the whole cladding, test it on a small piece of wood using a small quantity of oil. Observe the oil manufacturer’s instructions.
Four recommendations for installing Benchmark thermo-ash cladding
To make your paneling last as long as possible, it’s extremely important to use the correct installation techniques.
- For the substructure, we recommend using joists of thermally modified pine with durability class 2. This way, the substructure will last just as long as your paneling.
- Choose PaCS Clad, B1-1, T6, Tiga or Dekora clip fastenings to create a façade without any visible screw holes or screws.
- If you decide to use screws when fixing the cladding, we recommend pre-drilling the screw holes in the boards to avoid splitting the wood with the screws.
- By choosing cladding boards with end-matching, you can minimize time, labor and material costs when installing boards of different lengths. With end-matching, the boards don’t necessarily need to meet directly over a joist.